Welcome to Watson & Carroll


DisabilityCan My Disabled Child Receive Disability Benefits or SSI?

March 3, 2021

If you have a child who is disabled, he or she may qualify for disability benefits from the Social Security Administration (SSA). The SSA offers Supplemental Security Income (SSI), which is a needs-based disability benefits program that does not require a work history. Because children have no employment history, they can only qualify for SSI and not for Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI).  SSDI requires an established work history and credits.

The SSA considers minors – ages 18 and younger – as children. A disabled child’s condition must meet specific medical criteria and financial requirements to be eligible for monthly SSI benefits. Adults also can receive SSI – but this blog covers addressing disability benefits for children, including some of the details surrounding the claims process and how it works.

Social Security Disability Lawyer

The Social Security Disability lawyer at Watson & Carroll, P.C., L.L.O. can help you secure needed SSI or SSDI benefits to support yourself and your family. Our experienced disability attorney can offer support and advice as it pertains to your debt and circumstances. Call us today at 402-991-2100. You also can share your story here

Medically Qualifying For SSID

The SSA uses a medical guide, which is called the Blue Book, to determine if a claimant qualifies for disability benefits. Different sections cover different bodily systems. Each has listings for potentially disabling conditions, with specific criteria that must be met for a claimant to qualify for disability benefits. Children may qualify for disability because of a developmental disorder, emotional or mental conditions, cardiovascular conditions, congenital disorders, or physical impairments. 

To qualify per a Blue Book listing, a child must have a medically determinable physical or mental impairment; the impairment must result in marked and severe functional limitations; and the impairment has either lasted or be expected to last for at least a year or lead to the death of the child. The child’s condition also must result from physiological, psychological, or anatomical abnormalities that are obvious through laboratory or clinical diagnostic testing. 

Using A Medical Vocational Allowance

If your child cannot qualify for SSI through a Blue Book listing, your child may still be able to have his or her claim approved using a medical vocational allowance. That approach involves using a residual functional capacity (RFC) form completed by your child’s physician. The RFC details the severity of the condition and how it affects his or her ability to perform daily activities and routine tasks. Statements from educators and medical records can also help with the claims process and show the severity of the condition. Documentation and supporting evidence is essential for a disability claim’s success. 

Financial Criteria

A child is considered to have access to a portion of the parental income in looking at SSI claims. The SSA uses a process called deeming to determine if the financial criteria are met for SSI. The parental income is added then there are deductions taken for household members. You will need pay stubs and any other proof of income. As far as assets go, you need to gather bank statements, investment records, property deeds, vehicle registrations, and a detailed list of any other property and its fair market value.  

Applying For Disability Benefits

The disability application can be started online at www.ssa.gov or by calling 1-800-772-1213. Because of the complexity of a disability claim, a disability attorney is a huge asset to expediting the claims process. The experienced Social Security Disability attorney at Watson & Carroll, P.C., L.L.O. have helped hundreds of disabled people in Nebraska maneuver the claims process. 

About Watson & Carroll 

Watson & Carroll, P.C., L.L.O., is not a high-volume law firm that only speaks with clients when it is absolutely necessary. For us, it’s personal. Our team works closely with our clients and their loved ones – not only so that we understand their challenges and concerns, but so we can tailor our approach to address those factors, aggressively pursue results, and secure peace of mind. Whether it is a workers’ compensation case, a personal injury claim, a medical malpractice case, or advocating for disability benefits, we work to protect our clients and make sure their rights are upheld. 

Our firm can help. Call 402-991-2100 or email contact@watsoncarroll.com. You also can fill out our confidential contact form

Nebraska, Iowa, and South Dakota

Follow us:

The information on this website is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this site should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship.

© 2021 All Rights Reserved.

Watson & Carroll, P.C., L.L.O.