Welcome to Watson & Carroll


DisabilityHere’s How Your Child Gets Paid From Your Disability Benefits 

July 11, 2021

Disability benefits are fixed income, keeping many families on a tight budget to cover living expenses. The good news is that the minor child or children of a disabled parent can collect Social Security benefits  themselves — even though they likely don’t have a disability. 

This blog covers how much the child of a disabled parent can receive in monthly benefits, and how to claim those payments. 

Disability Lawyer For Parents With Disabled Children 

Watson & Carroll, P.CL.L.O. ‘s Social Security Disability team can help you secure benefits to support yourself and ensure your kids receive assistance as well. Chellsie Weber, our wildly successful and experienced disability attorney, and Abby Reid, our wonderful and thorough disability paralegal, can offer support and advice as it pertains to your disability and the benefits approval process. Remember, you’re more likely to have a successful disability claim with an attorney by your side. Call us today at 402-991-2100. You also can share your story here

Figuring Your Child’s Monthly Disability Amount 

A minor child who receives monthly benefits based on their parent’s Social Security earnings record can receive as much as 50% of their parent’s monthly benefit. Of course, how much the parents receive depends on their personal lifetime earnings record. The higher that individual’s earnings, the higher that parent’s monthly benefits and the higher the child’s monthly benefits. 

As an example, a child who has a disabled parent with an average indexed monthly earnings (AIME) of $3,000 monthly, the parent may receive a monthly SSDI check for about $1,400 each month. The dependent child may receive $700 each month. If a parent who earned twice as much money, and their disability check is around $2,100 per month, the child could receive $1,050 each month. 

There is, however, a maximum monthly family payout. If a household has more than one minor child, then those funds will be divided among members of the household. So, if the child’s benefit would be $1,050 per month and there were three minor children in the household, that would be $350 per month per child. 

Survivors Benefits 

If a dependent minor child’s parent was receiving Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) died while receiving disability benefits, or if the parents had earned enough Social Security credits to qualify for benefits at their death, the child can receive survivors benefits. The child can receive up to 75% of the parent’s monthly benefit, but the total paid out cannot exceed the family maximum. 

Maximum Family Benefits 

When a minor child receives a monthly benefit check at the same time as a parent receives a disability check, the sum of those payments is subject to a maximum family benefit amount. All the benefits paid each month cannot exceed the maximum family benefit amount. That means the disabled parent’s check, the benefits of two or more children, and/or the benefits paid to a spouse who cares for the minor children, the sum cannot exceed the maximum family benefit amount. Usually, the maximum family benefit is 150% of the total of the disabled parent’s monthly check. 

The maximum family benefits cannot be any higher than 85% of the disabled parent’s average indexed monthly earnings, which is the average of your earnings over several years. The maximum family benefit cannot be less than the disabled parent’s primary insurance amount – which is the monthly disability benefit amount. 

Have more questions? Get in touch with Chellie or Abby now.  

About Watson & Carroll 

Watson & Carroll, P.C., L.L.O., is not a high-volume law firm that only speaks with clients when it is absolutely necessary. For us, it’s personal. Our team works closely with our clients and their loved ones – not only so that we understand their challenges and concerns, but so we can tailor our approach to address those factors, aggressively pursue results, and secure peace of mind. Whether it is a workers’ compensation case, a personal injury claim, a medical malpractice case, or advocating for disability benefits, we work to protect our clients and make sure their rights are upheld. 

Our firm can help. Call 402-991-2100 or email contact@watsoncarroll.com. You also can fill out our confidential contact form

Nebraska, Iowa, and South Dakota

Follow us:

The information on this website is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this site should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship.

© 2021 All Rights Reserved.

Watson & Carroll, P.C., L.L.O.