Welcome to Watson & Carroll


DisabilityHow to Help Someone Apply For Disability Benefits

November 1, 2021

Many disability claims are denied due to a lack of supporting evidence to back up the claim. This often happens because the person applying doesn’t understand what evidence is needed and how to gather it, or any of  the other often confusing requirements of a complete application. This blog tells you how you can help a friend or relative apply for disability benefits — and how the disability team at Watson & Carroll, P.C., L.L.O., can help secure the disability benefits your loved one needs and deserves.

 Social Security Disability Attorney in Omaha, Nebraska 

Watson & Carroll, P.C., L.L.O.’s Social Security Disability team can help you secure benefits needed  to support yourself. Chellsie Weber, our wildly successful and experienced disability attorney, and Abby Reid, our wonderful and thorough disability paralegal, can offer support and advice as it pertains to your disability and the benefits approval process. Remember, you’re more likely to have a successful disability claim with an attorney by your side. Call us today at 402-991-2100. You also can share your story here.

How to Help Someone Fill Out Their Disability Claim 

A friend, relative, advocate, paralegal, attorney, employer, minister or someone else you know can help an applicant with their disability claim. Your name, organization if applicable, and your relationship to the applicant must be included. The applicant will need to agree to a Terms of Service Agreement and create an online My Social Security account. 

If you are helping someone to apply for disability benefits, you do not have to be appointed as the representative of that individual, but if they want to appoint you as the authorized representative to conduct business with the SSA on their behalf, you will need to submit the Appointment of Representative form, which is Form SSA-1696-U4. The person applying for disability benefits must sign the application – the signature cannot be the signature of the individual who is helping with the claim or who is the authorized representative. 

Important Requirements to Note 

Non-attorney representatives must possess a bachelor’s degree or equivalent qualifications, pass a written examination administered by the Social Security Administration, secure professional liability insurance or equivalent, undergo a criminal background check, and complete continuing education courses.

What Documents Do I Need for My Friend’s Disability Application? 

For a disability claim to succeed, the claimant must provide supporting medical documentation and other evidence. For a representative to review or access these medical records, the claimant must sign a form that grants you access to their medical records. If they have copies already, then those can be included with the application for disability benefits. The claimant will also need to sign a release so the SSA can contact healthcare providers to get copies of any other medical records that confirm the diagnosis, detail the treatment plan, and explain the restrictions and limitations. 

How Do I Get Help With A Disability Claim? 

If you are unable to work because of a medical issue and you are ready to apply for Social Security disability benefits, you should enlist the help of an experienced Social Security disability attorney. The Law Offices of Watson & Carroll, P.C., L.L.O., has helped thousands of disabled individuals access the monthly benefits that they are entitled to receive. We can help you throughout the claims process, including completing the application, filing any appeals, and preparing for a hearing before an administrative law judge (ALJ).

When it comes to disability claims, you can count on the compassionate, caring team at Watson & Carroll, P.C., L.L.O. Call today to schedule a case evaluation and to determine the best way to proceed with your Social Security disability claim. 

About Watson & Carroll 

Watson & Carroll, P.C., L.L.O., is not a high-volume law firm that only speaks with clients when it is absolutely necessary. For us, it’s personal. Our team works closely with our clients and their loved ones – not only so that we understand their challenges and concerns, but so we can tailor our approach to address those factors, aggressively pursue results, and secure peace of mind. Whether it is a medical malpractice case or advocating for disability benefits, we work to protect our clients and make sure their rights are upheld. 

Our firm can help. Call 402-991-2100 or email contact@watsoncarroll.com. You also can fill out our confidential contact form

Nebraska, Iowa, and South Dakota

Follow us:

The information on this website is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this site should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship.

© 2021 All Rights Reserved.

Watson & Carroll, P.C., L.L.O.