The statistics are real: millions of people apply for Social Security disability benefits every year, but only 30 percent are approved the first go-round. Why? Disability claims are denied for a handful of reasons, many of which are avoidable with the help of a disability lawyer. This blog looks at the most common reasons disability claims are denied — and what you can do to improve your chances of approval.
Social Security Disability Attorney in Omaha, Nebraska
Watson & Carroll, P.C., L.L.O.’s Social Security Disability team can help you secure needed benefits to support yourself. Chellsie Weber, our wildly successful and experienced disability attorney, and Abby Reid, our wonderful and thorough disability paralegal, can offer support and advice as it pertains to your disability and the benefits approval process. Remember, you’re more likely to have a successful disability claim with an attorney by your side. Call us today at 402-991-2100. You also can share your story here.
Why Do Disability Claims Fail?
Understanding why disability claims are denied can help your chance of success. Here are the most common reasons the SSA may turn down your disability application.
- Your medical evidence is weak. You must have proof your disability is severe enough to award benefits, including how it limits your ability to work and perform routine tasks. Your medical records should include a confirmed diagnosis, the treatment plan and your response to it, exam notes, x-rays and imaging reports, lab results, and any other details helpful to understanding your condition.
- You filed a new claim instead of appealing one previously denied. Don’t do this. Instead, hire an attorney and start the appeals process. A previously denied claim increases your odds of another claim being denied. Additionally, would could be missing out on a substantial amount of back pay by starting a whole new claim.
- You can work. If you can earn a living, you’re not disabled enough to be approved for benefits. You have to show the SSA that your disability prevents you from supporting yourself and your family.
- You’ve ignored your doctor’s advice. If you blow off your doctor’s recommendations for treatment or fail to maintain medical care, your claim will likely be denied. The SSA wants to know you’ve done everything you can to improve your condition before filing a claim. This includes your doctor’s advice to refrain from drugs or alcohol.
- Failing to cooperate with the SSA. When the SSA requests additional information or another exam, do it. You must adhere to their requests and meet any deadlines for providing those details. Your attorney will help keep you informed and on track.
What Do I Do If My Disability Claim is Denied?
Get an attorney. If you do, you’re more likely to have a successful disability claim and be awarded monthly benefits. Your disability lawyer will help you gather supporting documentation to ensure that you have all the evidence you need. Watson and Carroll helps disabled workers in Nebraska and Iowa gain access to the benefits they need. Ask Chellsie and Abby about a case review today!
About Watson & Carroll
Watson & Carroll, P.C., L.L.O., is not a high-volume law firm that only speaks with clients when it is absolutely necessary. For us, it’s personal. Our team works closely with our clients and their loved ones – not only so that we understand their challenges and concerns, but so we can tailor our approach to address those factors, aggressively pursue results, and secure peace of mind. Whether it is a workers’ compensation case, a personal injury claim, a medical malpractice case, or advocating for disability benefits, we work to protect our clients and make sure their rights are upheld.